Thursday, December 6, 2007

Rose-Colored Glasses

An acquaintance of mine, a self-proclaimed atheist, once said to me, "I do what is good for human beings because it is the right thing to do, not because God told me it was the right thing to do."

I found this to be a very intriguing comment...

Through candid conversations, it seemed to me as though this acquaintance thought of me as nothing more than a proverbial puppet. A "Jesus Freak" who has no intellectual control because of my foolish belief in an unknown being.

To them, being an atheist was intellectually freeing. They were open-minded. I was closed-minded. However, I believe it to be a reversal of philosophy. Don't you have to be open-minded to believe in something that takes a leap of faith?

The following is a quote by C.S. Lewis that simply states how I feel as a Christian.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else."


Becoming a Christian has opened my eyes to the world around me, not closed them. Becoming a Christian has made me love more deeply, not less. Becoming a Christian has given me compassion, not taken it away. Becoming a Christian has made me realize that each day is not my own, not mine and mine alone. Becoming a Christian has put my trust in a higher being, not in myself. Becoming a Christian has given me hope in tomorrow, not in today.

I am a human being that believes in Christianity, but also a Christian that believes in humanity.

So simply stated, but so hard for some people to grasp.

<><

1 comment:

cool mum said...

I feel like God has used atheist friends in my life to challenge me to really think about what I believe and why I believe it. These conversations are great, aren't they?

...a blog about life and faith...