Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Kayley Morgan


At 12:31 p.m. on December 8, 2007, Megan and I welcomed Kayley Morgan into the world. She weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. and was 19 1/4 inches long.

We were at the hospital from Friday until Tuesday afternoon. Ugh!

Megan was induced about a week and a half early because of pregnancy induced hypertension (high blood pressure). After 19 hours...yes, 19 hours...of labor, the doctors decided to move to Plan B...c-section.

On the way to the surgical room, the father-to-be has to stay outside in the lobby (alone) while the doctors prep the mom-to-be for surgery.

Worst 15 minutes of my life.

I had so many thoughts and emotions during those 15 minutes that it really felt like 15 hours. Knowing that in a matter of minutes...the unknown would be known. My life would be changed forever. Would she/he be healthy? Would I be a good father? What the heck have I done? Was this a mistake? Up to this point, I wondered what NOW would feel like. Truthfully, it scared the living daylights out of me.

Megan and I had been banking on a boy from the get go. Everyone on my side of the family are boys and so we thought that wouldn't change now. However, we REALLY wanted a little girl. When the doctor said, "it's a little girl," I couldn't believe my ears. Immediately, she had me wrapped around her finger.

Although there are a lot of worries and unknowns, I love holding her in my arms and watching her sleep. She has the cutest little face I have ever seen (father's bias). To think, this is the same little girl that will wake us up with the excitement of Christmas at 6:00 in the morning. The same little girl that will get on the school bus for the first time. The same little girl that will think her dad is totally uncool at some point. The same little girl who will be asked to prom. The same little girl who will graduate high school and go off to college. The same little girl that will meet and marry her own love. The same little girl that will have her own family someday. The same little girl that will always be my little girl.

Always.

I'm sure I will have many, many more posts that express the emotions, laughter, and some venting that is sure to come. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and support as we have moved along with this process. Friends and family are the best resources when it comes to this stage in our lives.

And lastly, thank you God for allowing me to witness the miracle of life. To be the father of something so precious to You. Thank you for the love that I feel when I look into her eyes. Thank you for a healthy baby girl and for answering a multitude of prayers from numerous people. It is in Your strength that I continue on.

<><

5 comments:

cool mum said...

Congratulations! Enjoy every second with your new baby!

Cool Dad said...

WOO-HOO!!! God is so good! Congratulations :)

OneManMajority said...

Thanks! You guys can be our online support system!

Rachel said...

Hey Ryan. I saw your "lurker" comment on my blog and thought it was pretty cool that my best friend had her baby girl a day before yours. Their weights and measurements are within an ounce an a 1/4 inch of each other, too! I was over at their place last night, holding baby Cali as she fell asleep in my arms. It made me realize how much I wanted my own family someday. She's such a precious little gift!

Blessings to you and your wife as you embark on this new season. :)

Dave said...

Congratulations Ryan. I wish you, your wife, and your daughter the best of luck and love!

...a blog about life and faith...