Monday, February 11, 2008

Living Kumpfortably


When Megan and I were looking for our first house, we made the decision that we wouldn't live beyond our means. Our house needed to be practical and affordable. People tend to fall into the mindset of saying "it may be tough for a few years, but then we should be able to live comfortably when I'm making a little more money." Problem is, we do not ever know what the future has in store for us.

Meg and I are only paying a little over a hundred more dollars to live in a house rather than an apartment (thanks in part to my grandparents). Only 100 more bucks for over 800 more square feet and this money actually goes towards our equity. In other words, it's ours!



Living below our means allows us to do the things we want to do. We have the freedom to save money, pay off some debts, give money to church, have an emergency fund, etc. Instead of having to dig ourselves out from underneath a mortgage payment, we will HOPEFULLY (with increased yearly salaries) be able to do more and more of what I stated above.

After listening to several financial sermons, I hope that we are living lives that are pleasing in God's eyes and no one else's. As we become more "financially fit," I hope we can do even more things to expand God's Kingdom.

<><

10 comments:

Tam said...

That is a beautiful house! And the yard is breathtaking!

As I drive around our town here in Southern Oregon I am absolutely amazed by the number of homes for sale. With a high percentage going into foreclosure, or like us, having to give ours back to the bank. We didn't have an extravagant house by any means at all - it was just too much $$$. Housing here is ridiculous. It priced us right out of ours with our adjustable rate.

Seems you and your wife are in a real good place financially. Takes so much pressure off!

Are you making changes to your blog or am I seeing things?

OneManMajority said...

Ya...I'm trying to make it look more "bloggish." I took a look at some other blog sites, but I just couldn't part. I like experimenting :)

OneManMajority said...

Thanks for the comments!

Isn't the housing market crazy? We got our house for 106k. Put that same house in other markets and it is 300k. Doesn't make any sense. No wonder it is so hard to keep up with the Benjamins!

Tam said...

It is crazy! A 1,000 sq ft 1970's fixer upper on a .08 acre lot here will run you between 210,000 and 260,00, depending on what part of town it's in!

A home like yours, from what i can tell, which is totally gorgeous would be high 3's here for sure!

Hold on to that beauty!

Tam said...

So is your pic symbolic of something Ryan?

OneManMajority said...

Not really. It is just Kayley and myself snuggling in bed :)

Josh said...

glad to see you're using the last name in the way it was intended - that is, to make puns about your comfort status, hahha.

I'll have to come by and see the place when I get back. Good to hear everything is well, talk to you later!

Kate said...

Very wise! Jon and I have found that living within and even under our means brings SO much freedom!

I LOVE your house, by the way. It's adorable and SUPER cozy. Plus the bedrooms are HUGE! We're coming up this summer for some BBQ's in your awesome back yard. Better get a swingset! : )

Kate said...

One more thing...you better get started on building a tree house in that AMAZING tree you have back there!!

OneManMajority said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

...a blog about life and faith...