Friday, October 31, 2008

It's Not Goodbye...It's See You Soon

Tonight, I did the hardest thing I have ever done in my 25 years on this earth...

I said goodbye to my Grandma.

My Grandma, who has been battling lung and bone cancer, is succumbing to a disease that shows no mercy. She has been through so much. She has been so strong. Even though she is still with us, it was comforting (for all of us) to be able to say the things that we wanted to say. To express our true feelings.

How does one approach this situation? My mind could not comprehend the magnitude of this moment.

I cried on the way to my grandparent's house. I cried before I went into her bedroom to see her. I cried before her. We cried together. I held her hands. We kissed. We embraced.

With my wife, my daughter, and my grandfather in the room; I told her how much I loved her. How much I appreciated what she has done for my family. How I will carry on the values she has taught me about what it means to be a family. How I will cherish all the memories of 'Grandma's House.'

She loved seeing Kayley again. It always has given her spirit a shot in the arm.

But, the most important part of the evening came in the form of a question:

"Will you pray for me?"

Humbled, I spoke to God as we cried and held hands. Out of all of my memories, nothing will ever trump that moment.

Because in that moment, it wasn't goodbye...

It was see you soon.

I love you with all of my heart and all of my soul.

Forever.

1 comment:

Daniel J. Carrington said...

That's awesome. I wish I had gotten a chance to say goodbye to my grand-father like that.

Though, I was lucky enough to go out to visit him a few weeks before he passed.

It's so awesome to be able lean on your faith like that. It's awesome to have a God that you CAN lean on during these times.

God bless!

...a blog about life and faith...