Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pride and Prayer

This past week, my Dad was finally able to sell his business by signing a purchase agreement. We have been praying for almost a year that the business would sell, that my parent's livelihood would be OK and that my Dad would find a steady place of employment. All have now been completed.

Prayer is a funny thing. We can pray with the intent of instant answers, but God isn't always quick to respond. That is where our strength in Him is tested. When that prayer is answered, it is awesome to see the fingerprints of God throughout the timeline of our lives.

The following was that first initial prayer (almost a year ago). A letter to God. This issue had been burning a hole in our hearts, and I just wanted to sit down and tell (or type) God my thoughts...my prayers. Thank you God for reading my letter...


Megan and I have been attending RiverTree for a year and a half at the Saturday night services. It has been a blessing for the both of us as newlyweds, but it has been very important for me and my journey to hear God’s Word. My wife’s family had been regular attendants to First Christian Church in Canton before my wife and I made the switch to RiverTree. Before our switch I had a bad taste about church from past experiences with other local churches. When I was younger we bounced around between a couple of churches that made us feel unwelcome, my parents had working hours on the weekends, and church just never seemed to fit into our family plan. My parents taught me the basic values of the Bible through modeling Christian values in our daily lives. I feel as though my family and I were supposed to go down that path, because it has made me a stronger believer in my life today. In fact, my parents love RiverTree and have attended on numerous occasions. It just provides me with another belief in why I was drawn to my wife and her family through God’s plan for my life and the others around me. In our marriage, the values and fellowship we have experienced at RiverTree have confirmed our faith even more. (The music is awesome too!!)

I am writing this letter in regards to my Dad, along with my Mom by his side, and his business. In writing this letter, I hope that You hear this letter as a prayer and directs all of our family in the right direction and helps us all to make valued decisions based on our faith in Jesus Christ. I started writing this letter at 2:00 in the morning because it has also taken a toll on my wife and I as well. Even though I have to be at work in four hours, I wanted God to hear my thoughts. Just Him and I in the early morning hours.

My Dad has owned a small business in North Canton, Ohio for over 20 years, and for anyone who knows someone who owns a small business, it is one of the toughest jobs there is. You are forced to know every aspect of the company from the financial standpoint to marketing and advertising. Even though he worked the long hours that came along with owning your own business, he always made time for family. In the summers when I was growing up, my Dad changed the store hours so that he had more time to be at home, he took off every other Saturday for us, family vacations took place every year, he never missed my brother’s or my sporting events and other important moments in our lives. Even now, my parents make time for my wife and I on the weekends with small trips and get togethers. He never cheated the family. Not once.

Owning a small business is much different than one might think. Long hours may not always result in a reward for the company. There might be two great years followed by two “not so great, why am I doing this” years. But when it came to my parents, we, as the children, never knew when those “not so great” years were. My Dad is an old fashioned business man. His company only has three employees. My Dad, my Grandpa, and a hired hand. My Dad’s business was one of only three businesses to be labeled as “severely damaged” by the tornado that ripped through Jackson Township in 2002. The warehouse was completely destroyed along with all of his inventory. His office had extensive water damage. The company truck was totaled when the warehouse roof collapsed, but that may have been the only thing that saved my Grandpa’s life. From May to October he ran his business out of two storage boxes that sat in his parking lot. Through the summer heat and all. He built his company on honesty and trust, which on more than several occasions, have meant a few missing payments here and there by not so honest customers. Because of the state of the economy, he has lost three of his biggest suppliers and distributors within the last year. There used to be a builder who always bought kitchens through my Dad’s store. The cabinets, counter tops…the whole nine yards. Unfortunately, that business man didn’t have the same philosophy as my Dad and without warning, moved his business to the commercial side. A huge blow to a small business.

During the past year, business has been on the decline. We’ve urged him to sell the business, but that’s like taking basketball away from Michael Jordan. It’s his business, his efforts, his money and hours, his good times and bad times, his quality time with his Dad in a business they built together. How can you ask a man to do that? How can you take away their pride?

I worked for my Dad in the summer. Just mowing, maybe a delivery or two. I mentioned to my Dad that he didn’t need to pay me, that I was just doing it to help out. I am a teacher, so I have a steady income during the summer anyways. He did what any Dad with pride would do. He would have nothing of the sort. I would get my check whether I wanted it or not. That’s just my Dad.

Like any stressful situation, I think it is finally taking a toll on his emotions. Subtle changes that were once unnoticeable, just a kink in Superman’s armor. But now, as a grown man to a grown man, I can see it in his eyes. I can see it in my parents eyes. But being my parents, life must move on.

As for this letter, I hope it can be a special prayer for my family. An extra blessing, and with God’s grace, maybe this year is the last of the “why am I still doing this” years. Because even though their may be a kink in the armor, my Dad still is and always will be Superman.

Thank you for listening

Thanks Mom and Dad for everything that you have done for Megan and I. We love having you with us at church on Saturday nights. It is such a cool thing to be apart of and we wouldn't want it any other way. Kayley says so too!

God = Unimaginable

<><

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...