Thursday, November 1, 2007

Jesus Passed Gas Too


Jesus once asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" However, it was the next question that is the foundation of Christianity. Jesus answered that question with another question by asking his disciples, "But what about you? Who do YOU say that I am?"

A couple thousand years later...we are still pondering that same question.

When you think of Jesus, how do you picture Him?

Long, flowing, silky, brown hair?
Clean white robe?
Perfectly trimmed beard?
Carrying a lamb?
Bright, white teeth?
Fair complexion?

Why?

Jesus, MY personal Lord and Savior, was after all...human (although, sin-free).

Think of the time period in which Jesus walked the streets. His clothes were probably not the cleanest. His teeth (if all were present) probably weren't the whitest. The breath might not of smelled so holy. His skin was probably more of a Middle Eastern olive complexion. His hands were probably rough and callused from being a carpenter (I'm sure he hit his thumb a few times with a hammer too). On a hot day, he probably had a little body odor. And yes, he probably passed gas and went to the bathroom too...just a hunch.

When we ALWAYS show Jesus in an "angelic-light" (not that He wasn't) sometimes it takes away from who He REALLY was.

Human (for 33 years).

Like you and I.

Instead of our "mainstream" culture promoting Jesus as unapproachable (and at times distant and rigid), we should show him in a real form that is approachable, lovable, and REAL. Think of your best relationship and then multiply it by hundreds. That's what we should be striving for. There is enough complaining going on in the church, it is time to put a foot down and do something about it.

The moral of my shpeel: Love, thrive in fellowship, live in community and pass gas...

Jesus did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have visited your blog for a fault, but I'm very impressed by the things that you are writing.
I don't have read many of your posts, by I surprised by this one.
It's the same for me. Christ is real and present, here and now.
For less than this the christianesim is not interesting.
I will come back soon to present me in a better way, but I would like to say you hello.
thank you.
P.S. sorry for my poor english, I'm italian.

OneManMajority said...

Marisa,

Thank you for stopping by. Please feel free to comment anytime. Have a great day.

...a blog about life and faith...