Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving!

Do you know how I knew it was Thanksgiving today?

No not the smell of a turkey in the oven...

By the sound of Christmas music on the radio. Strange right? We can't even finish one holiday before we move onto the next.

Anyways, this year I have many blessings to be thankful for. We moved into our first home. I landed my dream job. Megan will be having our first (I say that as neither a beginning nor an end) child in a matter of days/weeks. We joined an amazing small group and have connected with so many new friends who have enriched our lives. And, last but not least, our families have been awesome and supportive about the impending birth of our child. 2007 will be a year to remember and I cannot thank God enough for what He has been doing in our lives. We may never understand the way of His Blessings, but isn't it better that way?

Back to the Christmas music...

Can anything beat the classics? Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Burle Ives, etc. I could listen to them all day, everyday if I had too. My Bing Crosby Christmas CD is by far the best CD I own.

Now, we enter a time of hearing Christmas music everywhere we go...

When we are at the mall.
When we are driving in the car.
When we ride the elevator (only this is the cheap "instrumental" versions).
When we are pumping gas.
When we are using the restroom facilities at our favorite retail store (I know right?)

I wouldn't be so tired of it by Christmas if it was played for the right reason. That reason is to celebrate the birth of our Savior, not the birth of the holiday shopping season. Slowly, inch by inch, CHRIST is being taken out of CHRISTmas. Christmas is slowly becoming Winter Holiday.

Let's not let that happen...

<><

1 comment:

Cool Dad said...

To be honest, Christmas music has kind of lost its wonder for me, too. Like you said, it's everywhere for 4+ weeks. I still love the spirit behind the Christ-honoring carols, but it's hard to get your emotions up when you hear them several times a day.

I'm sure that our little one's first Christmas will give the holiday a new special significance. It'll be fun.

...a blog about life and faith...