Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Attn God: Please Send Parenting Manual

As I am typing this blog post, Kayley is resting comfortably in my arms after being fed and burped (yes, I am typing with one hand and it will take considerably longer). At some point today, Kayley will be 3 1/2 weeks old. Almost the big one month mark! As I watch her lay in my arms, I have some thoughts on my recent label: PARENT.

Think about it. One day your going about your business, just you and your partner, and then it happens. The two that went into the hospital together come back out as three (statistically anyways). Usually in a matter of hours.

You can read every book, lend an ear to every ounce (I use this because it is my new found measuring unit that dictates my life) of advice, and take every parenting class available...but how much does it really help?

Isn't parenting an incredible gift from God? That one gift that you open and say, "This is awesome! How does it work?"

Even though Meg and I can get extremely frustrated (usually at night when our eyes our closing and Kayley's are opening), there are so many little things that bring us infinite love.

For example, Kayley just ate and the proceeded to spit up all over her outfit, burp towel, receiving blanket, and my shirt. But in light of that, I stripped her down to her diaper, wrapped her up in a fleece blanket, and snuggled up to watch those funny expressions on her face.

I love her multiple sneezes, hiccups, and smiles that happen while she's dreaming. I love pinching the end of her little nose and having her tightly grasp her whole hand around my lone finger. I laugh when she tries to focus on my face and it looks as though she is cross-eyed. I love when she nestles her head under my chin when she is being burped and how she holds her head up to take in the surroundings. I love her little chicken legs and how she doesn't care if I lay one on her lips. I love her crazy hair that takes on the appearance of a small fro after a bath. I love being her parent and I can't wait to see each step of her development that seems to change on a daily basis.

God = Good

3 comments:

cool mum said...

Sounds like you're having a great time!

Tam said...

I think parenting gives us the MOST TINIEST glimpse of how God our Father sees us. You mentioned how Kaylie was fed then immediately spit it up. Isn't that how we, as His children are? Isn't that what we do? And like a good parent you washed her up adn snuggled right back in with her. Just like God does with us. i think it's a beautiful picture of His grace and mercy...and patience...you'll get to know that one a lot more in the future =)

What a gift!!! Congratulations!

Cool Dad said...

It's amazing that in the smallest people that God is magnified and glorified so much! As dads, we should just praise God over and over again and pray that we can be fathers to our little ones just like He is to us. :)

...a blog about life and faith...