Monday, January 7, 2008

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times

The above quote is the opening line in the novel "A Tale of Two Cities" by the classic author, Charles Dickens. At school today (my first day back after two weeks!), my students used this quote while journaling their Winter Break (sorry, I'm being politically correct) experiences. Each one of the students, even though away from school, had a "best experience" and a "worst experience."

In our own lives, isn't that quote almost always true?

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Everyday something good happens in my life. I wake up to another day of life. I eat a great meal. I see my daughter peacefully sleeping. My car starts. I dress myself correctly (I think). And so on....

Everyday something bad happens in my life. A car cuts me off. I get a paper cut. My pen runs out of ink. I'm running late to an obligation. My daughter keeps me up at night :( And so on...

Have you really ever had a perfect day? Do perfect days actually exist? The answer to both is: to a degree.

With that in mind, I have come to the understanding that each day of my life will contain some hurdle that I have to overcome. The question then becomes, how high do I have to jump and how far is each hurdle spaced?

If we knew the answer to that, life would be a much smoother ride.

But, it's not.

Therefore, we need a little extra boost. A shot in the arm. A glimmer of hope. A hand to hold onto. What is our extra boost? For some, it is alcohol or drugs. For others it is the gift of giving or self-gratification by stepping on others to get to the top.

But, what should our extra boost be? Our shot in the arm? Our glimmer of hope? Our hand to hold onto?

One word...

three letters...

G-O-D

<><

4 comments:

Tam said...

Nice! I think it's alot about perspective too. I remember one day many years ago watching Franklin on Disney or PBS with my kids. Do you watch that yet with your daughter? Anyway...Franklin, the turtle, was having a "bad day". His father talked to him in effort to encourage his son when he said something that caught my attention from the other room..."Franklin...A "day" is just "day" - it is what you make of it - how you see it - the day simply ha no choice but to just be a day." Something to that effect. But I have never forgotten that. I think it holds a lot of truth. I may get turned down for that dream job, but does that mean the day is ruined? Does that make it bad? Where's my focus, my perspective? OK - this isn't my blog...but your great post really got me pondering...Thanks!

Tam said...

oops...I am the queen of proofing AFTER I submit! Sorry =)

OneManMajority said...

Tam,

Thanks for responding. Isn't it cool how we can relate things to our own experiences?

P.S. I'll have to check Franklin out :)

Heidi said...

This is my favorite book and favorite author. It's funny about perpectives. My kids, both high schoolers and a grade schooler came home on Monday and said "mom, do teachers sit all winter break dreaming up homework assignments for us!!!!" Here is your perspective. I love your blog. Thanks for linking to mine at :
Find me.. Find Life.
Your baby is beautiful!!!

...a blog about life and faith...