Saturday, January 31, 2009

Movie Madness

The topic of movies came up tonight...

I'll be the first to admit, movies are not my forte.

Movies seem so predictable. So unoriginal. So time consuming. So overrated.

I (usually) can never watch a movie more than once. I think I own one movie...somewhere around here. I'm not a fan of horror, science fiction, animated, or superhero movies. After the Oscars, I'm often left wondering...how did THAT win?

When I do like a movie, it has to be special. Not too long. Not too short. Something that ends, like a book, with a brilliant closing sentence. It has to make you think and piece together the puzzle of the plot as it unfolds before your eyes. Laughter is a bonus. The kind that makes you burst into laughter days after you've seen the movie; during the most awkward moment of the day. A movie that draws real tears. The kind that swell in your eyes before trickling down the cheek. Something that leaves you daydreaming about what could have been or what could be.

Movies are not made like this anymore. The entertainment industry has lost the ability to entertain...to leave me hanging...to make me think...to make me laugh aloud...to steal a tear...to leave me daydreaming.

Here is my "unofficial" list of the good...the bad...and the ugly:

Favorite Comedy: Along Came Polly, Meet the Parents, Hitch, Christmas Vacation (I love situational humor)

Worst Movie: Before Sunset

Favorite Movie(s): Enemy of the State, Derailed, Out of Time, Inside Man, Breach, Finding Forester

Most Disturbing: Mothman Prophecies, The Cell

Biggest Surprise: Paparazzi

Best Chick Flick: Shall We Dance

Best War Movie: Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot, We Were Soldiers

Best Sports Movie: Rudy, The Rookie, Field of Dreams, Coach Carter

Oldie But Goodie: What About Bob?

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...