Monday, September 24, 2007

Questions, Cynicism and Hypocrisy

"If we Christians would take all that energy we put into proving we're right and everyone else is wrong and invested that energy in pursuing and doing good, somehow I think more people would believe we are right."

I came across this comment on a website I visited recently (author unknown). How true is that statement? Does it make you feel empowered to do something? Does it make you tingle too?

My walk with Jesus has been a rather strange one. Before I became a "practicing Christian," I wasn't much different than I am now. Good kid, respectful of others, helped people out, likable, never did anything his parents wouldn't want him to do. That's still me...basically.

However, since I have built a relationship with Christ...my perspective on life has drastically changed. I am no longer AS selfish and egotistical. There is a peacefulness about my life, a void that has been filled that I never even knew was empty. I look at the big picture rather than focusing on the next task. I love greater than I have ever loved before. My life isn't filled with worried perceptions, rather it is filled with a trust in a higher being...a higher realm. Instead of locking my car door at the corner where a homeless man always stands, I think of ways that I could help him out.

To sum things up: God plans the beats of my heart. I just have to make sure I keep it in working condition. A lot of times, people are to enveloped in the idea that we control those beats and what can I do to live longer, stronger and die with the most "stuff"...

With all that said, the most important concept is knowing that I am not done yet. Not even close. I understand that being a Christian is like being a great athlete. You have to practice at your craft. Wouldn't it be great if we could all focus on the first question stated? What if we all put others first? What if we all took the time to serve and love each other? What if we walked in the footsteps of Jesus?

Let's walk together...

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...