Thursday, September 6, 2007

Poems

I was looking through some old files on my laptop, and I ran across some old poems I had written. These are probably around 4 or 5 years old, so some of them are pretty rough. I love reading and writing poetry. It is the best form of creative expression. Anyways, enjoy...or uhhh...laugh?

Honest Abe

“Government of the people, by the people, for the people,
Shall not perish from the Earth.”
At Gettysburg these words were spoken,
Giving the nation’s freedom a new birth.

Guiding our nation through the greatest of wars.
A leader and hero who signed with a pen,
The Emancipation Proclamation,
An act that would free all men.

“With malice toward none,
With charity for all.”
Under God, he united one nation,
Catching humanity on the brink of a fall.

Today, “North” or “South“ does not exist,
And the fight for freedom is almost won.
So, thank you to the man on the five dollar bill,
And everything your gift has done.

If Your Big Toe Could Talk

Son of a…..
Can you not see?
Seven years that chair has been there,
But every night you curse at me.

Why can’t it be your head
Or elbow or thumb,
But no, it’s me, each time,
I’m sure to go numb.

For my abuse,
I’ll grow fungus faster than bread.
Making sure you had wished
You thought twice about the post on the bed.

You never hear you stubbed your ear,
Or that your nose fell off like my nail.
I cannot believe you treat me like this,
I’d rather be sent to jail.

Go Ahead, cover me with that sock,
Good it will never do.
For sometimes I think that I have the brain
And the only one stupid is you.

Sculpted Personalities

Driving by the farmer’s stand, they pose
Trying to look their Sunday best.
Families, couples, kids all in search,
Seeing which ones pass their difficult test.

They’ve grown all year for this one month.
Some go sooner, others go later.
Big ones, warped ones, small ones, perfect ones,
Either way, they all know their fate.

Getting picked is only half their job,
Their sculpted personalities are yet to be.
Opening them up, we gather their guts,
Knowing that giving them life is no cup of tea.

From devilish grins to astonishing eyes,
And faces that are not meant to scare.
They are doctored to fit imaginations,
And always welcome a passing by stare.

Days pass as features rot into one.
November is now their biggest fear.
Knowing that their holiday has come and gone,
Leaving farmers longing for next year.

You’ll Understand When You’re A Parent

The forecast said this evening would be nice,
But its been raining all through the night.
Scenarios play in the back of my mind,
Yet I know that everything will be alright.

I tell myself, maybe she forgot her jacket,
Or that a friend needed an unexpected ride.
Maybe she called and I just did not hear.
Something just does not feel right inside.

My heart begins to quicken,
As my position becomes a pace.
The only thing to cure this fear,
Is the me that I see in her face.

Headlights dance across the darkened room.
Possibly an officer to deliver the fate.
With a knot in my stomach, I open the door.
Sorry Dad…am I late?

Wishful Thinking

I got a letter in the mail today,
Sealed and Signed with only a kiss.
No return address was given,
Leaving me to wonder who it is I miss.

Could it be from my first love
Or from an old high school flame?
Maybe from a one night stand,
I don’t even remember her name.

It could be someone I don’t even know,
Sent to my box only by fate.
Maybe it comes from over seas,
Never dismissing a long distant soul mate.

I’ve waited for this person all of my life,
And their love is everything I lack.
Opening it I’m shocked to find,
It’s the love letter I sent coming back.

Wall of Fame

The names are all on the Wall of Fame.
It’s been eight frames and I still have it going.
People are beginning to gather,
Wondering if I have what it takes to keep strong.
With each roll my heart skips a beat,
Waiting until the ball meets the pins.
There’s an explosion of noise,
A roar from the crowd,
One more frame and that Wall is mine.
My palms sweat.
My brow is slick.
Aiming for the arrow I give it a whirl.
Faster and faster.
That ball seems to float.
Pins dance in the air falling to their death on the lane.
I look in amazement.
I’m king of the world!
The Wall of Fame has a new name,
Mine!
For bowling a perfect score.

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...