Tuesday, August 21, 2007

New Teacher Orientation

Today was day one of my new teacher orientation. WOW! I will officially have no life starting one week from today. I am beginning to see how easy I had it at Saints Philip and James. I guess there is a reason why North Canton is one of the best school districts in the state of Ohio.

I don't even know where to start. On many levels.

I am teaching a new subject. The grading program is new and online for parents to view (so no more slacking). The paperwork is overwhelming. The insurance, salary specifics, retirement funds, and life insurance buried me up to my neck (My whole life was explained to me in less than an hour and a half). The website was simple enough. The technical workshop was a three hour nightmare.

This is going to be a great experience. However, it will be really frustrating, tiring, stressful, and crazy before there is any glimpse of hope. There are many bright spots too. I am in the best school district in Stark County. I am in a school that treats you like family. I am surrounded by many helpful colleagues. The students are willing and eager to learn. The parents are involved and caring. My pay almost doubled. I'm actually paying into a retirement (one of the best in the world). This is the best place to teach, so why am I so stressed and frustrated?

North Canton is going to mold me into one of the best teachers around. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
You're going to do a great job! I can't wait to hear about all the success stories you will have with your students. You are a natural born teacher -
I can sympathize with your frustrations -- all the extra stuff that gets added to the world of teaching makes it really difficult to just teach...but hang in there!
Congratulations on your new job. I hope the first day goes amazingly well for you. You will be in our prayers.

...a blog about life and faith...