Sunday, August 12, 2007

Lincoln

Lincoln is our cat.

He is named Lincoln for several reasons. First, good ol' Abe Lincoln is my favorite president. Second, our favorite show (Prison Break) has a character with the same name that was setup and wrongfully accused of murder. How did we get his name based on a murder you say? Well, he looks guilty but is really innocent. Just like our Lincoln (sometimes).

I was never really a cat person before. To me, a cat was just a stupid pet that hid under the bed and didn't know his/her name. I was always a dog guy, you know, man's best friend (I'd still love a dog). But then Lincoln came along. He isn't like those cats I knew before. He is, surprisingly, more like a dog.

I love Lincoln.

There was a dog in our neighborhood today, we assumed he/she was lost, and it made me think about my love for Lincoln. Yes, I love my cat OK?

I began to think about what my emotions would be like if he was lost. I would probably spend hours upon hours looking for him. Yelling out his name. Shaking his treat box that he always comes running for. I'd probably even cry alittle.

Ya, I'm man enough to admit that. I'd cry over my cat.

He is part of our family now and we have grown accustomed to all of his actions, reactions, routines, etc. If he was lost, I wouldn't be able to function (sleep, eat, etc.) until I knew he was safely back home.

This got me thinking. Is this the same way God feels when he has lost one of his children? Does he frantically search for them, calling out there name? Is he not able to function until they are safely back in his arms? Does he cry?

I think yes. To all four questions.

And that gives me a feeling of great comfort.

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...