Sunday, July 15, 2007

Are You Thirsty?

Before I ever owned my own home, I never really cared about droughts.

Now, droughts really stink.

For the past several weeks, there hasn't been much rain. Mother Nature is being very cruel to my first yard and plants. So, during this time, I have been watering every couple of nights to keep up on what they have been missing.

As I was doing this, I began to think about my role in this whole process. Without me, my yard and plants would be pretty thirsty right? But...there I come, pulling my hose around the yard...watering each plant and brown spot of grass. In this drought, I am the saving grace of my foilage. I decide whether it lives or dies (unless Mother Nature steps in). Ultimately, I give my yard what it needs in order to survive: Time, care, and hope (hope to survive).

As I was providing this late-night trip to the watering hole, I found myself relating to these plants. Strange, right?

It is amazing what you can think about when you are watering your yard.

Anyways, in a distorted kind of way, I am those plants when it comes my own life. I constantly need time, care, and hope. So, in a sense, I need someone or something to quench my thirst. In this case, who could that be? Who could possibly provide all of those things in my life so that I can survive each and everyday...even when there is a drought happening in my life?

The only possible answer is God.

God provides me with everything that I need. He quenches my thirst by providing me with the skills and tools to survive each and everyday. He gives me the time, even when I do not always give Him mine. He gives me the care that I need, even when I do not show Him that I care back. But, most importantly, He gives me hope...even when I do not always see it in Him. When I am going through a drought in my life...when everything isn't going as planned...He comes by to give me that little taste of something special that keeps me hanging on.

So, in a weird and uncommon sort of way....

Maybe you and I have more in common with our yard and plants than we thought ;)

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...