Monday, August 24, 2009

Perry: Day 1

Well, my first day at Perry is in the books!

I really enjoyed my first teaching day. The whole experience has been really positive and I think I may have found a good fit at Perry.

First, a little background.

Last Tuesday, I attended an all-day mentoring meeting. This program is designed to assist first-year teachers and new teachers to the district as he/she transitions to the school system. Part of the mentoring meeting was a bus tour around Perry Township. Amazingly, Perry has a poverty rate around 40 percent. It was really beneficial to see where the kids are coming from. Then, on Thursday, I completed my mandatory work day. This is a day for teachers to finish organizing, complete paperwork, and set up his/her classroom. It usually takes many hours to get the room ready for new students. Next, Friday involved convocation and meetings. I was introduced to the district staff as a new employee in the morning and the rest of the day consisted of meetings and room preparation. Finally, on Sunday, I attended a four hour coaching clinic that will complete my coaching licensure.

Today, I woke up at 5:45 and was at school by 6:30. Students arrive at 7:45 and the first bell rings at 8:00. Teachers are contractually required to be there from 7:15 to 2:45. I really enjoy my schedule, the students, and the new colleagues I have worked with thus far. Everyone has definitely helped me during this adjustment.

My schedule looks like this (each period is 45 minutes long):

Academic Assist
1st Period (Planning)
2nd Period (6th grade Social Studies)
3rd Period (6th grade Social Studies)
4th Period (7th grade Social Studies)
5th Period (Lunch)
6th Period (7th grade Social Studies)
7th Period (6th grade Social Studies)
8th Period (6th grade Social Studies)

Overall, it was a great first day. It has been a lot of hours, but I can't complain! Perry seems very family oriented. They seem to take care of their employees and the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent are great guys that really encourage you to be at your best.

Go Panthers!

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...