Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Day In The Life Of....



Ever wonder what I teach? What the heck do I do at work?

I just finished a unit on transitive and intransitive verbs.

Say what?

That is exactly what I thought when I found out that I had to teach those verbs last year. I don't even remember learning those myself in school.

Here's how it works.

Transitive Verb:

Example - The coach called the game.

First, you have to locate the verb, which is CALLED. Second, you have to ask yourself the question 'who or what is receiving the action of called?' In this case, the GAME is being called. That makes GAME the direct object. If the sentence has a direct object that receives the action of the verb, the verb (called) is a transitive verb.

Got it?

Intransitive Verb:

Example - The girl ran to the store.

First, you have to locate the verb, which is RAN. Second, you have to ask yourself the question 'who or what is receiving the action of ran?' In this case, the girl is running, but it comes before the verb. Therefore, there is no direct object receiving the action. The phrase: "to the store" is a prepositional phrase and can be eliminated as a possible direct object. If the sentence does not have a direct object, the verb is an intransitive verb.

So not only do student have to recognize verbs, but they also have to be able to identify direct objects and prepositions.

More clear now?

Imagine teaching that to 12 year old kids...

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...