Saturday, June 9, 2007

Interesting Statistic

I was doing some surfing on the web today and came across an interesting stat. In an average household, the average adult spends $500 on alcohol per year. So, if you have two adults living in your home, the national average, your household is spending $1,000 per year on alcohol. Remember, that is an average...so some might be more and some might be less. Where do you think you fall?

On a personal note, my household is WELL BELOW that national average. In the past 6 months, we have probably spent $25 dollars on alcohol, if that. Now that is a personal choice, but I have never really understood the "fun" of drinking on a regular basis. Most people who drink "socially" and are "weekend alcoholics" have friends who are tied to them because of drinking. Think about this for a moment: If you took drinking away from your friendships (and maybe even relationships), what do you have? Do you still have those friendships? My guess is that it totally changes the landscape of most friendships and/or relationships. You live your life based on living for those moments.

Now don't get me wrong, we all work hard at our jobs and sometimes it is nice to come home and relaxe with ONE or TWO drinks, but to live for the weekend to get drunk? Seriously? Yes, college is a different story, but if you are starting your life with marriage, a career, children, etc. why keep living that life? Is there a point where you out grow it, or are you always going to be the "bar" type?

I don't know about you, but I could do a lot with $1,000 or more a year. Pay of some bills, save for retirement, buy someething useful, etc. But to spend over $1,000 on something you either pee out (or puke out)? What a great investment.

Sorry to seem so degrading on this subject, but it is just something that really bothers me. I enjoy a nice drink every now and then, but I'd rather have a good time with friends and family and not have to rely on alcohol to have a good time. As for me and my house, our money will be spent on things that matter...and alcohol is not one of those.

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...