Friday, August 13, 2010

Ethics

Today I delivered a presentation on ethics to our district's entry-year teachers (known now as Resident Educators), new teachers to the district, and mentors. The presentation was about a half hour long and covered the "dos and don'ts" of professionalism in the education field. I tried to incorporate personal stories and humor as ethics can be a very challenging topic. To my surprise, I had the room's (about 60-70 people) full attention during the entire presentation because I think people are genuinely interested in the topic.

As many people do (but usually do not openly discuss it), I think it is extremely important for any successful organization to have an ethics policy that is discussed and MODELED by its leadership. Being able to present this to new teachers was a HUGE bonus. If we can do this every year, think of the cultural change that could happen in our district. By planting that seed in the backs of each person's mind, we are helping to eliminate future hiring and dismissal issues.

I was extremely encouraged to come home and find several positive emails from the building principals that were in attendance at today's orientation. I have even been asked to present at their future staff meetings. I feel very privileged to have been asked to take on this role and even more privileged to know that it had an impact on those in attendance.

"Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things." ~ Peter F. Drucker

No comments:

...a blog about life and faith...